Slow Cooker Carnitas
This is one of the simplest slow cooker recipes you will ever make. Juicy flavorful pulled pork slow cooks all day with onions, garlic, cilantro and spices right out of your pantry. When it’s done all you need to do is take two forks and pull apart the extremely tender meat. I like to take it a step further and place the shredded meat on a baking sheet and broil it for about 5-10 minutes….this browns the meat nicely and gives it that perfect crisp. Seriously, it takes about 5 minutes to throw together and it’s perfect if you’re planning to be away from the house for a while. It cooks perfectly on slow and low. You can even prep it the night before, put the insert with the lid in the fridge and in the morning just set it and forget it!
3-4 lb bonless pork loin
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 small onion chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup Mexican lager style beer or 1 cup chicken broth
Mix cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
Rub mixed spice mixture all over the pork.
Place pork on top of onions.
Top with garlic and cilantro and juice of lime.
Add beer or broth.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
Carefully remove and shred with two forks.
Optional but highly recommended : place on baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes or until brown and a little crispy.
Top with your favorite toppings such as onions, cilantro, cheese, jalapeños, etc.
- 3-4 lb bonless pork loin
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small onion chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Mexican lager style beer or 1 cup chicken broth
- Chop onion and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Rinse and dry the pork loin.
- Mix cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Rub mixed spice mixture all over the pork.
- Place pork on top of onions.
- Top with minced garlic and chopped cilantro.
- Add beer or broth.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
- Carefully remove and shred with two forks.
- Optional but highly recommended : place on baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes or until brown and a little crispy.